We’re looking for a capable Backend Developer with around 3 to 4 years of industry experience to join the team. You’ll be joining our existing team of 9 developers, working on a wide range of projects using all the latest technologies.
- Salary - Based on ability and experience
- Bonus - An uncapped bonus linked to the success of the agency
- Hours - Full time, flexible working hours and the option to work from home
- Kit - A brand new M1 MacBook Pro, 4k monitor and peripherals of your choice
- Holiday - 25 days a year + bank holidays and your birthday off
- Location - Our award winning, creative office right in the heart of Leeds
- Structured personal development facilitated by our People, Development and Culture team
- Office gym, secure bike storage and workshop
- Participation in the Elympics
- Monthly socials, epic Summer parties and more… (when lockdown allows us, of course!)
- We’re also proud to be a Certified B Corporation™
Development at Engage
We’re an experienced team passionate about development so you’ll be learning and growing alongside some of the best in the industry. Whilst our responsibilities are diverse we’ll help and encourage you to find an area to specialise in.
We have great respect for the pivotal role that backend development has in delivering quality digital products. As a developer you have a chance to get to the heart of a problem and solve it in an elegant way.
A varied range of projects
Our diverse range of clients and sectors will provide you the opportunity to work on a range of projects; from gamification campaigns to comprehensive ecommerce solutions. No two projects are quite the same, so why not take a look at our work page to get the full picture.
Our core technical stack
Working on an ancient tech stack sucks, so we make a point of ensuring ours is kept as close to cutting edge as possible in an agency environment. It currently looks like this:
Who we’re looking for
At this stage of your career you’ll have developed some fantastic technical skills. You’re continuing to learn fast and feel ready to start taking a lead role on small to medium projects. You’re a safe pair of hands, a good communicator, and ready to jump into creating fantastic work.
Sounds like you? Below is an overview of the technical and personal skills we ask our team to have at a similar point in their career at Engage.
- Experience with modern frameworks, i.e. Laravel, Symfony.
- Experience using relational databases, schema design, and normalisation, i.e. MySQL, Postgres.
- Experience working with APIs - RESTful, SOAP etc.
- A good understanding of programmatic best practices and how to apply them i.e. OOP, design patterns, SOLID principles.
- Experience with automated testing, i.e. unit testing, TDD.
- Whilst the role isn’t for frontend development, a basic understanding of frontend build techniques is preferred.
Nice to haves
- Predominantly we use PHP, but experience with other similar languages is a plus, i.e Python, Go.
- Experience with NodeJS.
- Knowledge of Docker/containerisation.
- Leadership - You are eager for more responsibility and happy to take a lead backend developer role on small to medium sized projects, occasionally helping manage more junior members of the team.
- Organisation - You can manage your own workload and keep the team around you informed of your progress.
- Positivity - You’re the glass half full type.
- Communication - You’re able to express yourself clearly and professionally.
- Confidence - You’re comfortable speaking up and inputting into group situations, but equally recognise when to focus on listening rather than responding - we’re not one for egos.
- Passion - You care deeply about the work you produce.
- Attention to digital™ - We’re big on doing things properly here, and you are too.
We provide our whole team with coaching and mentorship with a focus on achieving goals and career progression.
The application process
No-one like nasty surprises so we like to be fully transparent with our application process. Below is exactly what to expect should you choose to apply.
The ‘get to know each other’
If we like the look of your application we’ll invite you for a video chat with Chris (our Head of Development) and Will (our Technical Director). We’ll use the time to hear more about your experience to date and ask you to talk us through some examples of your work. This is a great opportunity to ask us any questions about the role too.
The technical test
If that chat goes well, the next step is to complete a short technical test. This gives you the opportunity to showcase skills we’d expect in the role. We only give you 4 hours, so please don’t expect to finish; it’s best to take your time and write code you are proud of rather than rush.
We don’t expect people to work for free, so if your application is unsuccessful following the completion of the technical test we’ll send you £100 of Amazon vouchers for your time.
After a successful technical test we’ll invite you to a more formal interview. This will either be over video or in person at our Leeds HQ.
We’ll be joined by one of our senior developers and our aim is to fully understand your technical and professional abilities. To do this we’ll ask you to talk us through your approach to the technical test, plus ask some more questions about the project examples you’ve already shown us.
If you are able and comfortable visiting the office, you’ll also have an opportunity to meet the rest of the team and get to know everyone.
With everything taken into consideration we’ll be in touch as soon as possible to let you know if you’ve been successful.
And finally, a little about Engage
Established in 2007 we’ve built a reputation for consistently delivering world-class digital strategies for some of the UK’s leading brands. With a team of 34, we’re big enough to give you room to grow and work on high-profile projects, but small enough to remain agile and not get tied up in large agency politics.
Why not familiarise yourself with our work and clients by browsing our case studies then simply head over to the application form below if we sound like the kind of place you’d like to call home.
Pssst! Strictly no recruiters, thanks. We only consider applicants applying directly.