We’re looking for a capable Backend Developer with around 3 to 4 years of industry experience to join the team. You’ll be joining our existing team of 9 developers, working on a wide range of projects using all the latest technologies.
- Salary - Based on ability and experience
- Bonus - An uncapped bonus linked to the success of the agency
- Hours - Full time, flexible working hours and the option to work from home
- Kit - A brand new M1 MacBook Pro, 4k monitor and peripherals of your choice
- Holiday - 25 days a year + bank holidays and your birthday off
- Location - Our award winning, creative office right in the heart of Leeds
- Structured personal development facilitated by our People, Development and Culture team
- Office gym, secure bike storage and workshop
- Participation in the Elympics
- Monthly socials, epic Summer parties and more… (when lockdown allows us, of course!)
- We’re also proud to be a Certified B Corporation™
Development at Engage
We’re an experienced team, passionate about development, so you’ll be learning and growing alongside some of the best in the industry. Whilst our responsibilities are diverse we’ll help and encourage you to find an area to specialise in.
We have great respect for the pivotal role that backend development has in delivering quality digital products. As a developer you have a chance to get to the heart of a problem and solve it in an elegant way.
A varied range of projects
Our diverse range of clients and sectors will provide you the opportunity to work on a range of projects; from gamification campaigns to comprehensive ecommerce solutions. No two projects are quite the same, so why not take a look at our work page to get the full picture.
Our core technical stack
Working on an ancient tech stack sucks, so we make a point of ensuring ours is kept as close to cutting edge as possible in an agency environment. It currently looks like this:
Who we’re looking for
At this stage of your career you’ll have developed some fantastic technical skills. You’re continuing to learn fast and feel ready to start taking a lead role on small to medium projects. You’re a safe pair of hands, a good communicator, and ready to jump into creating fantastic work.
Sounds like you? Below is an overview of the technical and personal skills we ask our team to have at a similar point in their career at Engage.
- Ideally experience with Laravel and/or Craft CMS.
- Experience with API integrations.
- Whilst the role isn’t for frontend development, a basic understanding of frontend build techniques is preferred.
Nice to haves
- Experience with VueJS.
- Knowledge of Docker/containerisation.
- Leadership - You are eager for more responsibility and happy to take a lead backend developer role on small to medium sized projects, occasionally helping manage more junior members of the team.
- Organisation - You can manage your own workload and keep the team around you informed of your progress.
- Positivity - You’re the glass half full type.
- Communication - You’re able to express yourself clearly and professionally.
- Confidence - You’re comfortable speaking up and inputting into group situations, but equally recognise when to focus on listening rather than responding - we’re not one for egos.
- Passion - You care deeply about the work you produce.
- Attention to digital™ - We’re big on doing things properly here, and you are too.
We provide our whole team with coaching and mentorship with a focus on achieving goals and career progression.
The application process
We like to be fully transparent with our application process. Below is exactly what to expect should you choose to apply.
If your application looks like a good match we’ll invite you for an interview with Chris (our Head of Development) and Will (our Technical Director). The interview is fairly informal - we’ll use the time to hear more about your experience to date and give you an opportunity to talk us through some examples of your work you are really proud of. This is a great opportunity to ask us any questions about the role and company too.
The interview will either be over video or in person at our Leeds office. If you are able and comfortable visiting the office, you’ll also have an opportunity to meet the rest of the team and get to know everyone.
An offer and a trial day
If your interview goes well we’ll make you a provisional offer. Before we make it formal we’d like to invite you into the office for a trial day. This is half a day where you’ll have a chance to meet the team and get some hands-on experience with our working practices. If all goes well and both you and we are happy then we’ll formalise your offer!
We don’t expect people to offer their time for free, so we’ll pay you for your time on the day.
And finally, a little about Engage
Established in 2007 we’ve built a reputation for consistently delivering world-class digital strategies for some of the UK’s leading brands. With a team of 34, we’re big enough to give you room to grow and work on high-profile projects, but small enough to remain agile and not get tied up in large agency politics.
Why not familiarise yourself with our work and clients by browsing our case studies then simply head over to the application form below if we sound like the kind of place you’d like to call home.
Pssst! Strictly no recruiters, thanks. We only consider applicants applying directly.